You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video recording static noise

My Iphone 14 which is about 2 months old has an issue when recording videos. I recently noticed it when I recorded a video in a silent room. There is a very audible static noise when replaying the video that I recorded with my Iphone.

It happens with both the back and front camera. Which I believe both use different mics? So it almost seems software related. It happens in the official Apple camera app that comes with the phone but also in Whatsapp and other third party camera apps.

I already tried turning off the stereo recording but this sadly didn't change anything. Strangely enough when stereo sound is enabled. Zooming in and out while recording a video changes the pitch of the static noise. Fully resetting the phone also did not change anything.

iPhone 14

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 1:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 12:15 PM

I've noticed it for a few days. I have this problem. I have 14 plus. It's a very interesting problem. I went to the service 2 days ago. They renewed the software. I'm thinking of going again tomorrow, but I saw your article. The dates we noticed the problem are similar. I noticed it in October too.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2023 12:15 PM in response to Xevares

I've noticed it for a few days. I have this problem. I have 14 plus. It's a very interesting problem. I went to the service 2 days ago. They renewed the software. I'm thinking of going again tomorrow, but I saw your article. The dates we noticed the problem are similar. I noticed it in October too.

Jul 17, 2023 1:38 PM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks for your response!

I just checked your suggestions. Apple TV has no static noise, neither does YouTube for example. When recording with the Voice Memo app there is also the same static noise. So it seems to be the case when recording anything at all, with the rear microphone near the cameras or the bottom microphone.

As an additional test I just called someone and asked them to put their phone on speaker mode. They heard no static noise coming from my side. So it is really only happening when recording audio with the builtin microphones and then playing it. I also send the audio files (which i recorded with my Iphone) to a friend and he could also hear the static noise.

Oct 13, 2023 11:32 PM in response to Xevares

My iphone14pro has the same issue after the screen was replaced by Apple two months ago. I checked the videos I took before the repair no noise issue. I went to Apple Store for help and they checked the audio system was all fine. Even I strongly suspect it was related to the repair, they still advices me to restore my phone to factory settings to exclude it was a “software” issue. I don’t believe it is a software bug as the camera functions are in IOS. And doing a restore is painful as many apps will need to be reinstalled and reconfigured. They also mentioned that a restoration may have complications with eSIM. What a terrible experience with Apple.

Jul 14, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Xevares

Good day to you Xevares, 

To be sure the issue is isolated, we’d like to have you check a couple things. Do you notice a static noise when playing audio from other sources such as the Apple TV app? How about when recording a memo in the Voice Memo app? Are you listening to the audio through the built-in speakers or through a Bluetooth or hard wired headphone? 

Once you’ve been able to double verify those things, if the issue is persisting only with recording videos, we’re going to suggest that you reach out to Apple Support to further explore the situation. Here are a couple links below with contact details - 

Contact Apple for support and service

Apple Get Support

Thanks. 

Video recording static noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.