You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find my custom Numbers templates with the Finder?

The Numbers Template Chooser is glitching. One of my custom Numbers templates is no longer accessible in the template chooser, even though it's displayed there. The thumbnail and title are correct, but when I click it it opens a totally different template. I want to go to the root folder and find the original, and use Time Machine to restore it if need be.

It seems the old file path from Sierra no longer exists, so an old 2017 answer to this question in this forum didn't lead me to the right place.

I'm running Ventura 13.4.1. on a 2023 MacBook pro 16". M2 Max chip.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 10:09 AM

On my machine the path at the bottom of the Finder window looks like this:

(In Finder I went to the View menu and chose Show Path Bar.)

When I right-click User Templates in the Path Bar and chose Copy "User Templates" as Pathname I get this:

/Users/sg3/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Numbers/Data/Library/Application Support/User Templates

If I go to Go > Go to Folder ... and paste that in then I'm taken back to the folder with the templates.

You of course need to change the user name to match yours on your machine.

SG

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2023 10:09 AM in response to scottmoonman

On my machine the path at the bottom of the Finder window looks like this:

(In Finder I went to the View menu and chose Show Path Bar.)

When I right-click User Templates in the Path Bar and chose Copy "User Templates" as Pathname I get this:

/Users/sg3/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Numbers/Data/Library/Application Support/User Templates

If I go to Go > Go to Folder ... and paste that in then I'm taken back to the folder with the templates.

You of course need to change the user name to match yours on your machine.

SG

Jul 22, 2023 9:44 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks SGIII. That's a start. I found Application Support via /Users/MyUserName/Library/Application Support. I'm not seeing iWork, Numbers or User Templates in there, even though lots of other apps have folders in there.

I've also found /Users/MyUserName/Library/Containers/ but no com.apple.iWork.numbers

Still hunting around, not finding it.

Jul 24, 2023 1:14 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks, SGIII!

It worked, your file path took me right there. I appreciate your help.

The only problem is that the template I'm looking for is not in there with the rest of my custom templates... even if I go back in time with Time Machine to the month of May when I know I had that functional template in there. Either my computer is storing some templates in a different place or something thoroughly confusing has happened.

At this point, I'm just going to recreate the template rather than spend more time trying to find it. That was very kind of you to help me out.

Cheers, SG!

How do I find my custom Numbers templates with the Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.