You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Sink Airtag

I can add my airtag to the list of devices. I click "add device" and the phone looks like it's searching but the tag won't register even sitting directly on top of the phone screen. What can I do to fix this problem?

AirTag

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:52 AM

An AirTag is considered to be an "item," and not a "device," by Apple. As such, it will not appear in your Apple ID's Device List. Where it does appear in on the Items tab on the Find My app on your iPhone.

If it is not appearing, then I suggest that you reset it, and then, try pairing it again.

Ref:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2023 11:52 AM in response to jrw212-21

An AirTag is considered to be an "item," and not a "device," by Apple. As such, it will not appear in your Apple ID's Device List. Where it does appear in on the Items tab on the Find My app on your iPhone.

If it is not appearing, then I suggest that you reset it, and then, try pairing it again.

Ref:

Jul 25, 2023 11:41 AM in response to jrw212-21

Hello jrw212-21,

Thanks so much for posting your question in Apple Support Communities.

Let's see how we can help get the AirTag synced up with your iPhone.

First, try restarting your iPhone following the steps found in Restart your iPhone - Apple Support and try once more to pair the two.

Make sure you are following these steps found in Set up your AirTag using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Making sure you have everything listed in "What you need" and in step 2 below that you pull out the tab so the battery is active.

Set up your AirTag
1. Make sure that your device is ready for setup.
2. If your AirTag is new, remove the wrap around the product and pull out the tab to activate the battery. Your AirTag will play a sound.
3. Hold your AirTag near your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then tap Connect.* If you have multiple AirTags and see "More than one AirTag detected", make sure that only one AirTag is near your device at one time. Need help connecting your AirTag
4. Select an item name from the list, or select Custom Name to name your AirTag and choose an emoji. Then tap Continue.
5. To register your AirTag with your Apple ID, tap Continue again. 
6. Tap Done. 
Now you can attach your AirTag to your item and see it in the Find My app
* You can also set up your AirTag in the Find My app. Tap the Items tab, then tap Add Item.

Reach back out if you still need help.

Take care!

Can't Sink Airtag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.