You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple silicon computers see external monitors as TV screens and output YPbPr.

This is a major issue that many internet users complain about. It is difficult, if not impossible, to get proper color reproduction on external monitors.

The issue is well described in this article: https://petapixel.com/2021/10/07/apple-silicon-is-still-a-pain-to-use-with-color-accurate-monitors/

And there is a manual fix on GitHub, thanks to the user GetVladimir: https://gist.github.com/GetVladimir/c89a26df1806001543bef4c8d90cc2f8

I can get RGB output following those instructions with the Mac Mini M1 and a couple of Dell s2721qs. However, I still have issues calibrating the gamut with xRite i1 Display and different calibration softwares, I can calibrate the white point and brightness with the instrument, but then I have to profile it by eye with Display Calibration Assistant to get correct gamut. I also have to kill WindowServer a few times a day after sleep. This causes all the applications to close and I need to log back in to get RGB back instead of YPbPr.

I just want to know if Apple is aware of this problem that affects, I think, almost everyone who works with colors and everyone who cares about it. It's 3 years since the M1 have been released, I'd like to know if we can finally expect a fix.

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:16 PM

Apple engineers are not here. We're all end users like yourself. Tell Apple about the problem via Feedback - macOS - Apple.  

Similar questions

1 reply

Apple silicon computers see external monitors as TV screens and output YPbPr.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.