You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware

I have an iPhone 14 promax. I’m learning how to use it. I’m 61 years old and this is the easiest phone I have ever tried. But I don’t understand things like malware and viruses. I thought iPhones were protected from viruses and malware. Is this true? Also, if I need to get malware protection, where do I go for it and I need a really cheap one. Do I need to get like Norton virus protection on this iPhone? I just don’t understand the things I’m reading so I can’t differentiate what i’m supposed to do. Could you please help me with this? Help me to understand? Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any and all responses.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 7:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 8:09 PM

Neil, thank you so very much for your response and help! I knew I heard something about this but I didn’t think I fully understood! The terms were too technical for me. Your response was very well worded, and I fully understood. I appreciate it very much.

6 replies

Jul 30, 2023 8:26 PM in response to Defiant_Vixen

I thought iPhones were protected from viruses and malware. Is this true?

Yes.

Viruses and malware are not the same thing and it's important to understand the difference.

• There are no viruses that affect iPhones so just forget that idea.
  • Malware (meaning malicious software) describes something that needs to be deliberately installed. Since the only source for iPhone apps is the App Store, and Apple will not permit the distribution of malicious software the likelihood of ever being deceived into installing malware on an iPhone is essentially nil.

Also, if I need to get malware protection, where do I go for it ...

You don't, so that question is already answered.

Do I need to get like Norton virus protection on this iPhone?

No. Never install it, or anything like it. Those products are all scams that capitalize on fear. It's a highly effective strategy not limited to mere economic gain. You don't have to be afraid.

You can observe reasonable precautions to protect yourself from scams though. Even though it was written primarily for Macs, Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community describes simple principles that apply to any Internet-connected communications tool. Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages - Apple Community is more applicable to iPhones. It contains example screenshots of scam attempts that cause needless concern. One particularly disquieting example is this Discussion — which has been going on for over five years.

Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.