You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad loosing charge

My iPad looses charge within 1 hr when not plugged in. Today I noticed that it lost charge even when plugged in and supposedly charging.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 2:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 3:14 PM

How frustrating it can be when your iPad won't stay charged!

You might take a look at 'Battery' under Settings (it's near 'Touch ID & Passcode' in the Settings list). This screen will tell you when your battery was last charged to 100%. It will also show you which apps have been eating up your battery power in the 'Last 24 Hours' and the 'Last 10 Days'.

Check to see if you have some app(s) using a large amount of battery power (say a graphics-intensive game, maybe?)

Another thing you can check is your charging cable. Try using a different charging cable or cable adaptor. What I mean is this:

• Try replacing the cable itself - maybe borrow one from someone you know whose i-device is working fine with their cable.
  • You could also try using the same cable with a different device to see if that other device charges correctly with that cable.

If the cable seems to be fine, next check the adaptor you plug it into:

• If you plug the cable into your computer, then try a different computer - or try a different port on the same computer, if you have multiple ports available - or try using one of those adaptors for using in electrical outlets.
  • If you plug the cable into one of those adaptors for using in electrical outlets, try a different adaptor, if you have one.
  • If the adaptor works to charge other devices fine, it might be that the adaptor doesn't have enough wattage. (I recently used an older adaptor, and it wouldn't charge my iPad, even though it was charging an older iPod. When I switched to a newer 10-watt adaptor, it worked for the iPad. The same cable - USB-A to Lightning - worked in both adaptors, of course.)

If no amount of switching cables or adaptors works (or if you don't have any available to switch out), then if you're near an Apple Store or other Authorized Apple Dealer, make an appointment for them to take a look at your iPad to see what's happening.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2023 3:14 PM in response to coranferry

How frustrating it can be when your iPad won't stay charged!

You might take a look at 'Battery' under Settings (it's near 'Touch ID & Passcode' in the Settings list). This screen will tell you when your battery was last charged to 100%. It will also show you which apps have been eating up your battery power in the 'Last 24 Hours' and the 'Last 10 Days'.

Check to see if you have some app(s) using a large amount of battery power (say a graphics-intensive game, maybe?)

Another thing you can check is your charging cable. Try using a different charging cable or cable adaptor. What I mean is this:

• Try replacing the cable itself - maybe borrow one from someone you know whose i-device is working fine with their cable.
  • You could also try using the same cable with a different device to see if that other device charges correctly with that cable.

If the cable seems to be fine, next check the adaptor you plug it into:

• If you plug the cable into your computer, then try a different computer - or try a different port on the same computer, if you have multiple ports available - or try using one of those adaptors for using in electrical outlets.
  • If you plug the cable into one of those adaptors for using in electrical outlets, try a different adaptor, if you have one.
  • If the adaptor works to charge other devices fine, it might be that the adaptor doesn't have enough wattage. (I recently used an older adaptor, and it wouldn't charge my iPad, even though it was charging an older iPod. When I switched to a newer 10-watt adaptor, it worked for the iPad. The same cable - USB-A to Lightning - worked in both adaptors, of course.)

If no amount of switching cables or adaptors works (or if you don't have any available to switch out), then if you're near an Apple Store or other Authorized Apple Dealer, make an appointment for them to take a look at your iPad to see what's happening.

Aug 2, 2023 4:57 AM in response to coranferry

The symptoms that you describe suggest a potentially failing battery - that may be approaching the end of its usable lifespan. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly or progressively falls much quicker than expected, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates that the iPad battery is reaching the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Otherwise, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad loosing charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.