You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail, Google account

Hi, a few months ago it was necessary to provide another email account as part of a log-in process. I then provided another ad-hoc google email that was accepted and is used at each login. However I can't remember how I set it up and although Iv'e "emailed" it from an independent source it's never shown in my incoming mail box.

I attempted to add it via "add an account" in mail and when I enter the email, a verification box appears which then opens my google browser but that's it, nothing else happens. It's essential that I add this to my Google mail so that I can log-in to it and ensure that Google doesn't remove it through "non use" which they will do if it's not used. The email is only ever used for this one particular app.

I couldn't find a posting topic for mail

It would be much appreciated for any help and info.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 12:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 10:03 AM

Hi, and many thanks for your response. About 20min ago I fond and old forum response to the same question from Viking, see the below screen shot. I tried that and it worked a treat. Thats after about 4 hours trying to resolve. I was trying to reply to the Viking post to thank him but it's closed.

Much appreciated.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2023 10:03 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi, and many thanks for your response. About 20min ago I fond and old forum response to the same question from Viking, see the below screen shot. I tried that and it worked a treat. Thats after about 4 hours trying to resolve. I was trying to reply to the Viking post to thank him but it's closed.

Much appreciated.

Aug 3, 2023 9:54 AM in response to 7812b

Hello,

Mac's Mail App is not as modern as iOS's Mail app, Many eMail providers now require a separate App Password different from your eMail password…

If it's an IMAP account, delete it in Sys Prefs Internet Accounts then use "Other" instead of gMail choice to add it.

Most likely biggest factor is using Other in Mail setup, then using a Browser that doesn’t have gMail PW stored init to get the App PW.

It might just need an App Password separate from the gMail password…

Apple mail will not let me add a GMail ac… - Apple Community

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Apple Mail won't sign in to Google account - Apple Community

my iMac has OS Yosemite 10.10.5 Does this… - Apple Community

my iMac has OS Yosemite 10.10.5 Does this… - Apple Community

gmail on mail Version 11.5 (3445.9.1) - Apple Community

gmail on mail Version 11.5 (3445.9.1) - Apple Community

Note from PrestoWebDesign…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253701684?answerId=257151754022#257151754022

Trying to add Gmail account to Apple Mail… - Apple Community

https://blog.google/technology/safety-security/the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-password/

Aug 3, 2023 7:57 AM in response to 7812b

Hi, again. Iv'e almost got it sorted. Iv'e validated it and provided a back up email password etc via Google which has all been accepted. However, when I attempt to add it to my Apple mail account as a new email, I'm still getting the box to complete authentication, as attached. When I click that it then opens google showing the current screen, but nothing regarding the authentication. Again, I'd appreciate any help and info.

Apple mail, Google account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.