You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

target display mode iMac late 2013 macOS Catalina

is it possible to use my iMac late2013 macOS Catalina as a monitor for my Mac studio in target display mode?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 3:14 PM

None of the new Mac’s can use an iMac in Target Display Mode.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If have or buy a Mac Studio or a Mac mini, then you will need an external display to setup and use as the main display.

see > Connect a display to Mac Studio - Apple Support

Then you can repurpose or sell the 2013 iMac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2023 3:14 PM in response to gori666

None of the new Mac’s can use an iMac in Target Display Mode.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If have or buy a Mac Studio or a Mac mini, then you will need an external display to setup and use as the main display.

see > Connect a display to Mac Studio - Apple Support

Then you can repurpose or sell the 2013 iMac.

Aug 3, 2023 1:30 PM in response to gori666

sorry, gori666, but Target Display Mode has been dead a long time.... It might technically work over thunderbolt, but there are certain requirements for both Macs, and your Mac Studio, being an M1/M2 Mac definitely doesn't support target display mode. You can get/buy "Luna Display/Duet Display" which will allow you to use your late 2013 imac as a monitor for your Mac studio...that's the only thing I know which will, so yes, with "Luna Display/Duet Display" it is possible

John B

target display mode iMac late 2013 macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.