You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed the Mac username without backing up or creating another user and now I cant log in. How can I fix this on my macbook air - MacOS Monterey?

I clicked on the lock button 🔒 to change the username of my mac and didn’t notice the warning. After changing my username my laptop restarted and I cant log in anymore. It freezes on the login page after i put my password. How can I fix the issue? I don’t have any back ups

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 7:49 AM

In essence you've forgotten your password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

But, Apple warns about the move, if you muffed the name changing procedure, what you have is more than a simple forgetting.

"Doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in with that account. Make sure that you have a backup before continuing. These steps do not change or reset the password of your user account."

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2023 7:49 AM in response to ku4hx

In essence you've forgotten your password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

But, Apple warns about the move, if you muffed the name changing procedure, what you have is more than a simple forgetting.

"Doing this incorrectly could damage your account and prevent you from logging in with that account. Make sure that you have a backup before continuing. These steps do not change or reset the password of your user account."

I changed the Mac username without backing up or creating another user and now I cant log in. How can I fix this on my macbook air - MacOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.