You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to create App-Specific Passwords

I am attempting to revoke an old app-specific password and create a new one. From https://appleid.apple.com, I click on App Specific Passwords. When I click on the password that I wish to revoke, a pop-up displays and I select 'Revoke'. I then receive a second pop-up suggesting that I continue on one of my devices. I have relentlessly attempted to continue the process on my MacBook Pro and iPhone to no avail.

When I attempt to add a new app specific password, I receive a similar prompt and am unable to create new app specific passwords via my devices.

Any insights? FYI - I have 2 security keys enabled. I have tried to use them w/ both my MacBook Pro and iPhone and still no success.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 8:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 8:20 AM

This "continue on" message seems to be a new message appearing in various contexts. If you are doing something where an app-specific password could be involved*, follow the steps in Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Others report having encountered this in other contexts such as when editing Apple Account information with a web browser. You can try proceeding editing the information as indicated in the messages by using Settings. Others have found using a different browser or simply trying again may work.

Related discussions:

every time I tried to create an app-speci… - Apple Community

- "Someone in another post said to use a different browser (not Safari or whichever one you normally use). That worked for me."

- "Use a computer to generate the App specific passwords. Don't use Safari or Chrome. I got it to work using Firefox on my Mac."

- "the Chrome browser works for me."

Can't change Apple ID - Apple Community

- "OK it just worked. No idea what was going on before. Thanks for the help anyway!"

Can't Change / Remove Apple ID Notificati… - Apple Community

- Occurred while changing account information using a web browser.

I can't find how to continue App Specific… - Apple Community

- "The solution to the problem is not to allow the iPhone or Mac to sign you in automatically with FaceID or TouchID, but instead I found complete success in manually signing in with my Apple ID and password, which then prompted a two-factor authentication prompt and code. Following that sequence, I was able to successfully revoke and add app-specific passwords."

____

* I'm trying to add a new app-specific pass… - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2023 8:20 AM in response to Premier-Blue

This "continue on" message seems to be a new message appearing in various contexts. If you are doing something where an app-specific password could be involved*, follow the steps in Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Others report having encountered this in other contexts such as when editing Apple Account information with a web browser. You can try proceeding editing the information as indicated in the messages by using Settings. Others have found using a different browser or simply trying again may work.