You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App specific password

I’m trying to generate an alp specific password for my iCloud email but it prompts to continue on my iphone or mac. However, when i access my apple id in the devices as directed, there’s no prompt or next steps. Help.

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 10:22 AM

8 replies

Aug 7, 2023 10:31 AM in response to tjrcuenca

If you’re having trouble generating an app-specific password for your iCloud email and not seeing the expected prompts on your iPhone or Mac, here are a few steps you can try:

1. Check iCloud Settings: On your iPhone or Mac, make sure you’re signed in to your iCloud account. Go to “Settings” on your iPhone or “System Preferences” on your Mac, then select iCloud. Make sure you’re signed in with the correct Apple ID.

2. Two-Factor Authentication: App-specific passwords are typically used with two-factor authentication (2FA) enabled. Ensure that 2FA is set up for your Apple ID.

3. Generate on Web: If you’re still unable to generate the app-specific password on your devices, try going to the Apple ID account management website (appleid.apple.com) and sign in. Navigate to the security section and look for the option to generate app-specific passwords.

4. Update Devices: Ensure that your devices are running the latest software updates. Sometimes, issues can be resolved by updating to the latest iOS or macOS version.

5. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, you might want to reach out to Apple Support for assistance. They can provide guidance and troubleshoot the issue further.

Remember that the steps can vary slightly based on the specific version of iOS or macOS you’re using. If you’re still encountering difficulties, contacting Apple Support is the best option.

Aug 17, 2023 6:49 AM in response to aamirmalik786

I'm also having this issue, and it's the first time I've ever run into it. I've generated app-specific passwords in the past (last one was 6/14/23) with no trouble but now I just can't get anywhere. I checked all of your recommendations and everything is set up as it should be. Like the OP said, I go into Settings / Apple ID on my iPhone and there's no prompt or anything to click on to continue the process. Same on my Mac.

Feb 13, 2024 3:56 PM in response to JohnnyMac19

go to safari and log in to icloud.com using your apple id and password once logged in look iin upper right of screen click your face choose manage apple id

after that it will take you to appleid.apple.com. once you have gotten to the screen were you see

Sign-in and Security at top scroll down till you see App-Specific Passwords click it and follow directions

simply hit plus sign to start a new one or revoke the ones you want and make a new one

App specific password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.