You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low resolution on Macbook air 2017 while using an external monitor

I have external monitor 2580x1080, My macbook is just outputing 1920x1080, I seems like cable issue after reading blogs and finding on internet. But What kind of cable should I use.

The one I use is supporting 4K@30Hz Resolution (only support mini DP to HDMI ), support resolution up to 1920x1200 or 1080P full HD via DVI or VGA port

If this cable is not wrong cable then Please suggest me I can't find on internet.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:47 PM

Let's start with some technical specifications for your 2017 MacBook Air, take directly from this Apple Support link:

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

As you know, there is a single Thunderbolt 2 port on this particular laptop model and 2 USB-C ports.

Ref:

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2023 1:47 PM in response to gauravsinghji

Let's start with some technical specifications for your 2017 MacBook Air, take directly from this Apple Support link:

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

As you know, there is a single Thunderbolt 2 port on this particular laptop model and 2 USB-C ports.

Ref:

Low resolution on Macbook air 2017 while using an external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.