You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep a light colored menu bar with dark wallpaper. (workaround)

I noticed that when using a dark wallpaper on the desktop, and dark mode, some of the menu bar icons did not show up at all. They just blended into the dark color of the translucent menu bar.

Personally, I like the light mode, but when using a dark wallpaper, the menu bar reverts to dark mode with white font. When it does, the Bluetooth and WiFi icons disappear (if turned off). All you can see is the slash through them.

See the pix below.

You must use a light colored wallpaper in order to get the light menu bar with dark font.

Here's a work around.

Pick whatever image you like and add a narrow white stripe across the top of it.

Now select that image for your wallpaper and and you will get a light menu with dark font; like this.

The image that I used to achieve this is shown below.

I made it using Preview in edit mode.

Good luck.

Mac Pro (2023)

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:45 AM

9 replies

Aug 10, 2023 10:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis,

Dark mode does not change the color of the top menu.

That menu's color is controlled by the color of your desktop wallpaper.

In the image that you show here, I'll can tell that you are probably using the solid aqua desktop color from the wallpaper settings.

That is where the blue menu with dark letters come from.

And that gives me an idea.

You could put any color stripe on top of any image and use it for your wallpaper.

Here an example in light mode.

And here's one in dark mode.

You can get creative with this trick.

Aug 9, 2023 10:54 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

No worries.

That's why I labeled it as a work around.

There are still a few old dinosaurs like me who started their Mac journey on a Lisa.

Dark mode is great , but I still like the light menu bars.

The problem with the Accessibility fix, is that it also changes the dock background.

I like the Transparent dock.

What I really wish is that Apple would make the interface more user configurable, like Linux.

How to keep a light colored menu bar with dark wallpaper. (workaround)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.