You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate to a new account with a new name on the same Mac

I discovered a problem after migrating to my M2 Mac Studio within that last couple of months. My user folder (maybe my account name?) has a whitespace at the end. "/Users/ACCOUNTNAME "

This is causing some issues. I want to move to another user folder and even user name to get rid of this problem. What is the best way to migrate to a new user and user folder? I have backups and Time Machine. I could nuke and pave and set up as a new Mac but how do I do that with a different account name/folder? I don't think that is a given option when using Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant. Any thoughts?

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 4:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 4:47 AM

You can just rename your user account to get rid of the space.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 10, 2023 6:24 AM in response to dialabrain

So fun times, I renamed the folder, then went to rename the account and set the home folder, in that process Users and Groups threw an exception, and my user is gone. I created a new user pointed to the home folder and it looks pretty good. I have to reset up Apple Pay and my finger print for Touch ID but I think it is ready. That was a bit scary. I obviously had some kind of strange issue there.

Migrate to a new account with a new name on the same Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.