You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV A1247...HDMI cable

I am looking at an upgrade to my ATV (A1247)....and the latest 4K 3rd Gen with 64gb seems attractive.

Plan to purchase a 4K TV in the near future...

My q is this...can I use the current HDMI cable (A1247) on the 4k 3rd Gen ?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 4:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 12:21 AM

My q is this...can I use the current HDMI cable on the 4k 3rd Gen ?

You can use older types of HDMI cables, but it will likely limit what the devices and TV are capable of, when you get a newer TV as well. You are advised to get a new HDMI cable rated for 48 Gbps of bandwidth (“Ultra High Speed”), for use with current models HDMI devices and TVs with HDMI 2.1 ports. You don’t want the cable to be the reason for getting lesser quality video (resolution, dynamic range, frame rate).

It will be alright with HD 1080p non-HDR TVs, though. So, you don’t have to get a new cable until you get a new TV.

Set up your Apple TV - Apple Support

“On Apple TV 4K, you need an HDMI 2.0 or later compatible cable. To access all of the features that your Apple TV has to offer, use an HDMI 2.1 cable.”

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2023 12:21 AM in response to glenmore5

My q is this...can I use the current HDMI cable on the 4k 3rd Gen ?

You can use older types of HDMI cables, but it will likely limit what the devices and TV are capable of, when you get a newer TV as well. You are advised to get a new HDMI cable rated for 48 Gbps of bandwidth (“Ultra High Speed”), for use with current models HDMI devices and TVs with HDMI 2.1 ports. You don’t want the cable to be the reason for getting lesser quality video (resolution, dynamic range, frame rate).

It will be alright with HD 1080p non-HDR TVs, though. So, you don’t have to get a new cable until you get a new TV.

Set up your Apple TV - Apple Support

“On Apple TV 4K, you need an HDMI 2.0 or later compatible cable. To access all of the features that your Apple TV has to offer, use an HDMI 2.1 cable.”

Apple TV A1247...HDMI cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.