You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move MacOS from SSD Back To iMac Disk

I have 2.4TB and rising of my wife's professional photos on our iMac - a lot of RAW files chews the space up. The iMac is 2019 and has a 3TB disk and had pretty much ground to a halt.

I took a suggestion from here and moved the iMac startup disk and user files to a LaCie 1TB SSD and it works fine. Someone jumped on the thread and said I had done it the wrong way around and I should have put the photos onto a drive. When my wife presented me with her MacBook with another 500GB of photos, I realised the commenter was right.

I have now bought a 12TB SanDisk pro external drive and all the photos live there. I then set out to reverse the process and put the startup disk back onto the iMac. The issue is I can't see the target drive on the iMac if I use Migration Assistant.

When I go into Disk Utility, I see the disk (actually disks), but I can't find it any other way. See the screengrab.

Any advice, please?

In a perfect world I would simply get a bigger desktop, but the disk space on iMac has topped out and the next models up are $$$$$$ and beyond what we need.

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 8:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 9:00 AM

That iMac has a split Fusion Drive.

You need to try and fix the split Fusion Drive, then reinstall the macOS.

see > How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

If you can not fix the Fusion Drive because of a failed drive.

Then the options are

1) Take the iMac in for a drive replacement.

2) Continue to run from an external SSD.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2023 9:00 AM in response to snm2205

That iMac has a split Fusion Drive.

You need to try and fix the split Fusion Drive, then reinstall the macOS.

see > How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

If you can not fix the Fusion Drive because of a failed drive.

Then the options are

1) Take the iMac in for a drive replacement.

2) Continue to run from an external SSD.

Move MacOS from SSD Back To iMac Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.