You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up my young daughter's Apple Watch SE on a different carrier than my iPhone SE

My iPhone cellular service is on the Verizon network, but through Ting Mobile. (My wife's iPhone is on T-Mobile, but again through Ting Mobile.) We recently got our young daughter an Apple Watch SE with cellular. For Family Setup between my iPhone and her Apple Watch, do we have to be on the same carrier or not? Ting doesn't support eSIM, which is what her Apple Watch uses. Could we sign up her Watch under regular (non-Ting) Verizon (or any other carrier that supports eSIM), while I keep my iPhone on Ting Verizon? Would that work for Apple's family sharing/setup requirements?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 1:41 PM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2023 7:12 PM in response to Soosie_J215

“In order to use any cellular features on her Apple Watch SE, she would need to use the same carrier as your iPhone.”

Is this actually correct? I am trying to set up a watch I bought after reassurance this is possible (though so far it hasn’t been easy because I keep hearing it can’t be done?)

The second link says:

Aug 16, 2023 12:06 PM in response to 3axap3axap

Hello 3axap3axap,

We see you are asking about setting up an Apple Watch for your child and how to connect it with having Ting as your mobile carrier. There are a few things to keep in mind with a setup like this.

• In order to use any cellular features on her Apple Watch SE, she would need to use the same carrier as your iPhone.
  • You will need to use a supported carrier with your iPhone (then her Apple Watch) for this setup.
  • For any Apple Watch cellular plan specific questions, you'll want to reach out to the carrier.

Here are some related Apple Support articles for reference:

Make sure that you have an eligible cellular service plan with a supported carrier. Your iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same carrier,* and you must be within your carrier's network when you set up cellular on your watch.

We hope this information helps.

Take care.

Set up my young daughter's Apple Watch SE on a different carrier than my iPhone SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.