You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

popup says Mail needs to import my messages

About a week or so after installing MacOS Ventura on my 2017 iMac, I got a popup window saying "Mail needs to import your messages." When I said ok, it said it was going to download over 238,000 emails. That was shocking. Will this create duplicates of all the emails I have ever received, including those that I have deleted? I tried restarting in SafeMode but I got the same popup. Does anyone know why this happened? Should I go ahead with the massive download or just stop using Mail and login to each of the accounts I have flow into Mail for convenience? One thought I had was to delete the accounts in "Internet Accounts" in Systems Preferences and then reintroduce them. Will this work or will this erase all the mail in my accounts in Mail, including quite a few folders?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2024 1:19 PM

In my case the attempt to import fails after anywhere from 20 to 90 % .

"The import failed. An error occurred during the import. make sure you have available space in your home folder and try again."

Lots of room. repeat failures.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 16, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

The accounts are Comcast accounts and my iCloud account. I don't have gmail imported into Apple Mail.

Thanks for your explanation. I wonder why it took a week and a few days for Mail to get around to trying to implement the import to rebuild its database. Guess I will just have to suffer the download and then get redelete all the ones I have previously deleted. The thought is daunting but I don't want to keep logging in and logging out of the accounts.

I recall in the past that Mail attempted a couple of times to download every email again. I stopped the process but don't remember how. That is not possible in this case since I cannot access Mail at all now unless I allow it to download everything. Oh, well....

Aug 16, 2023 3:27 PM in response to terpsmitty

After an upgrade, Mail has to rebuild its database. It doesn't matter how you do it, Mail will import the email on the server. The only way to stop it is to remove the email from the server.

What kind of accounts are they? Gmail stores all of your email, even the messages you deleted. You can prevent those from appearing in an IMAP email client (like Mail) in the Label settings on the Gmail web portal. Other servers may have some capacity to restrict what is shown on IMAP.

Aug 16, 2023 8:23 PM in response to Barney-15E

Mail successfully downloaded the messages from my accounts to rebuild the mailboxes and all looks ok. Just as you said, the messages that I had deleted from Mail had also been deleted from the Comcast servers so they were not downloaded. There were no duplications at all of undeleted messages. I was remembering what happened years ago and clearly the two circumstances were not the same. I am so relieved. Thank you again for explaining that this download was just Mail rebuilding its database.

Jul 8, 2024 6:42 AM in response to terpsmitty

I am moving from a 2016 MacBook on Monterey 12.7.4 to a 2019 MacBook Pro on Ventura 13.6.7

The first time I opened Mail, I got the message that Mail needed to transfer all messages. I thought no problem, makes sense.... so I said Continue.

Now it's telling me there are 1.3million emails to transfer. NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS do I have that many emails, not even across the 4 Gmail addresses I use.

The only thing I can think of is that Gmail hasn't deleted *anything* in the 15y I've had 3 of the 4 emails or everything is being duplicated because if how I have set up the various accounts.

Barney 15E - if you are still around...... all 4 Gmail accounts are set up as IMAP but I will admit to being a total troglodyte so it's very possible I've not used all the correct settings. At one point, I was having problems accessing the emails from my phone and Macbook as some were missing from either one and I can't operate like that.

Is there anywhere definitive where I can get simple instructions on what settings to use for the different email accounts, to ensure I have all emails whether I'm on my Phone or MacBook - and without saving absolutely every single email since the beginning of time......

TIA

Jul 8, 2024 7:09 PM in response to BelugaBVI

Barney 15E - if you are still around...... all 4 Gmail accounts are set up as IMAP but I will admit to being a total troglodyte so it's very possible I've not used all the correct settings. At one point, I was having problems accessing the emails from my phone and Macbook as some were missing from either one and I can't operate like that.

Is there anywhere definitive where I can get simple instructions on what settings to use for the different email accounts, to ensure I have all emails whether I'm on my Phone or MacBook - and without saving absolutely every single email since the beginning of time......

In Gmail Settings > See All Settings > Labels, find the All Mail label and disable "Show in IMAP"

If you want to actually delete emails when you delete emails,

Under Forwarding and POP/IMAP, turn auto-expunge off. Then, for "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:"

Select Move to Trash or Immediately delete from the server. The former will give you a chance to restore from the Trash if you decide later you wanted it.

popup says Mail needs to import my messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.