You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 10 generation Vs iPad Air 5th generation

I am looking for an iPad with good amount of internal storage I hsve the 7th generation with 32gb its 4 years old and and wont update to 16.6 anymore due to the storage. I am a mother with a small child looking for iPad that can help me in College where I’m a student it would be used for school work, note taking watching movies and games and browsing.

I would like a recommendation . I know the 10th generation you need Apple Pencil first generation which is not wireless charging and the iPad Air use’s 2nd generation pencil with wireless charging please help. I want to use it for myself and for Education games writing drawing etc

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 11:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 4:52 AM

The iPad Air5 offers higher performance than the iPad10. Many users also prefer the convenience and additional functionality of the second generation Apple Pencil.

You can compare all available models and their specifications here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2023 4:52 AM in response to christinamcaruso617

The iPad Air5 offers higher performance than the iPad10. Many users also prefer the convenience and additional functionality of the second generation Apple Pencil.

You can compare all available models and their specifications here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

iPad 10 generation Vs iPad Air 5th generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.