You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder sort order in open or save dialog box column view

Finally found the solution that's been bugging me for a while now, stretching back a couple of versions of OSX and across my last two machines. I prefer to use column view in the Open and Save dialog boxes, but at some point, the sorting got stuck on date, rather than by name. Most solutions pointed to using the List view to set sorting options, but they wouldn't stick when switching to column view. Since I mostly work with Office files, I thought it was specific to Word and Excel, but tried it in Numbers and noticed the same behavior. Since the dialog boxes don't allow right clicking, I couldn't use the "Uncheck Use Groups" solution that works in a conventional Finder window. What finally worked was Option-click on the button at the top of the dialog box that is used for Group By, which changes the behavior to Sort By. Hope this helps anyone else having sort issues in teh column view!

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 12:42 PM

AVGeek94 wrote:

Finally found the solution that's been bugging me for a while now, stretching back a couple of versions of OSX and across my last two machines. I prefer to use column view in the Open and Save dialog boxes, but at some point, the sorting got stuck on date, rather than by name. Most solutions pointed to using the List view to set sorting options, but they wouldn't stick when switching to column view. Since I mostly work with Office files, I thought it was specific to Word and Excel, but tried it in Numbers and noticed the same behavior. Since the dialog boxes don't allow right clicking, I couldn't use the "Uncheck Use Groups" solution that works in a conventional Finder window. What finally worked was Option-click on the button at the top of the dialog box that is used for Group By, which changes the behavior to Sort By. Hope this helps anyone else having sort issues in teh column view!

ref: Sort and arrange items in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2023 12:42 PM in response to AVGeek94

AVGeek94 wrote:

ref: Sort and arrange items in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Finder sort order in open or save dialog box column view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.