You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to macOS Big Sur

I am finally trying to upgrade my Macbook Air from Mojave to Big Sur. However in order to upgrade it is stated that I need 16.16GB of space. However my laptop only has a 4GB memory. Does this mean I cannot do this update or is there another way around it? Thanks so much. Cheers.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 9:53 AM

4GB is your MacBook Air memory, not storage space.

To see the amount of your storage, see the following from Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

• Earlier versions of macOS: Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac, then click Storage.

That same support article has other information if you need to free up storage space.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2023 9:53 AM in response to mahatma226

4GB is your MacBook Air memory, not storage space.

To see the amount of your storage, see the following from Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

• Earlier versions of macOS: Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac, then click Storage.

That same support article has other information if you need to free up storage space.

Upgrading to macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.