You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to update my iPhone to the latest version of iOS 14

i want to update my iphone 6plus to the latest version 14 ios because there are some app i can’t download with my phone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 2:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 2:43 PM

Hello,

An iPhone 6 (or 6 Plus) will only update as far as iOS 12.5.7. To ensure you have at least that, you can try updating your device. When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date and won't offer to install anything. If you want to run a higher system version than your current device will support, you need to buy a newer device.

This support article has instructions about updating your iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software. That is outlined in this article --> Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

27 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2023 2:43 PM in response to Pandaboylove

Hello,

An iPhone 6 (or 6 Plus) will only update as far as iOS 12.5.7. To ensure you have at least that, you can try updating your device. When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date and won't offer to install anything. If you want to run a higher system version than your current device will support, you need to buy a newer device.

This support article has instructions about updating your iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software. That is outlined in this article --> Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Jun 4, 2024 7:40 AM in response to Christophermbaiwa

iOS 14 is no longer available.

• If you have an iPhone 5S or 6/6plus, the highest you can update to is 12.5.7

• If you have an iPhone 6S through 7, or SE 1st generation, you can update to 15.8.2

• If you have an iPhone 8 or X, you can update to 16.7.7

• If you have an iPhone SE (2nd generation or later), or XR through 15, you can update to 17.5.1

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2024 4:34 AM in response to simthandile160

simthandile160 wrote:

You may want to update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS 14. That doesn't mean that you can.

iPhones which are not compatible with iOS 14 will not be offered an update to it. For the iPhone 5s, 6, and 6 Plus, iOS 12 is the end of the line. No iOS 14 update for the iPhone 5s, 6, and 6 Plus. Not now, not ever.

iPhones which are compatible with iOS 14 will probably be offered an update to a higher version of iOS. (I don't believe there are any iPhones for which iOS 14 was the end of the line.)

Aug 30, 2024 4:15 AM in response to Awabjavid

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

• If you have an iPhone 6S through 7, or SE 1st generation, you can update to 15.8.2

• If you have an iPhone 8 or X, you can update to 16.7.10

• If you have an iPhone SE (2nd generation or later), or XR through 15, you can update to 17.6.1

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2024 9:08 PM in response to BarronBarron

An iPhone 6/6 plus can't be updated beyond 12.5.7, it doesn't have the hardware required to run anything higher.

If you need a higher iOS version, you will have to purchase a newer phone.

• If you have an iPhone 8 or X, you can update to 16.7.10

• If you have an iPhone SE (2nd generation or later), or XR through 15, you can update to 17.6. 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.