You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word for Mac on NFS share thinks documents are read only

I have a strange issue with am Unraid server running NFS shares.

Facts:

• Running a fresh install of Word on a fresh Mac on a fresh Unraid server
  • Documents are on an NFS4 network share
  • The share and documents has all permissions: Read - Write - Execute
  • I can verify this by using "Get info" on a Word document and see that myselv, mygroup and all users has Read and Write. I can also verify directly on server. Documents are 777 (rwx for all)
  • Ready only is not set on document (as seen from Mac get info)
  • Locked is not set on document (as seen from Mac get info)

Symptoms:

• When I open a document located on the share in Word on the Mac - it displays a message that the document is read only and only gives me the option do duplicate it. I can duplicate it fine and save to the network location, but when opening the duplicated document, I get the read only message again.
  • No other programs are behaving this way on the same share - Excel, Powerpoint etc works fine. I can even open a Word document in a text editor and are able to save it - so if it definitely not read only
  • If I create a new Word document and saves it to this network share - I get the same behaviour - it gets read only
  • If I map the network share using samba (SMB) protocol instead of NFS, it works fine - issue is only with NFS (but I prefer NFS due to speed & reliability when there are many files)

So somehow Word thinks that documents on the network share are read only - while they definitely not are read only.

Can this be related to MacOs sandboxing Word somehow? Can I turn this behaviour off?

Any ideas?

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 11:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 12:27 PM

*** Update:

The issue seems to be NFS v4. If I mount using NFS v3 it works fine. I know that locking behaviour is done differently in NFS v4 - so this might be the issue.

How can this info be sent to Apple support?

Similar questions

1 reply

Word for Mac on NFS share thinks documents are read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.