You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus on Mac?

Hi l have been reading here that we don't need antivirus on a Mac l recentley purchase a new Mac Air l spoke with an Apple technician over a another issue and he recommended l get Malwarebytes go figure

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 10:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 3:35 PM

Paranoid might be a little extreme. It's beneficial to be cautious. That's the inspiration for the "effective defenses" principles.

"Anti-virus" products present not only a security threat, they tend to instill a misplaced and irresponsible sense of security. Plenty of people asking for help on this site are already running various and sundry "anti-virus" and / or "anti-malware" things, yet they didn't help. Most of them will only cause troubles of their own.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2023 3:35 PM in response to Mietta77

Paranoid might be a little extreme. It's beneficial to be cautious. That's the inspiration for the "effective defenses" principles.

"Anti-virus" products present not only a security threat, they tend to instill a misplaced and irresponsible sense of security. Plenty of people asking for help on this site are already running various and sundry "anti-virus" and / or "anti-malware" things, yet they didn't help. Most of them will only cause troubles of their own.

Aug 23, 2023 9:46 PM in response to John Galt

You certainly seem to know what your talking about John many thanks l will leave well enough alone as l have already had disaster the day l bought it everything was fine till l rang Norton to help me install Norton 360 the technician did a remote access to my new Mac to install it for me don't know what he did but l could no longer get internet after 3 days of different technicians none of then could fix it they then wanted me to download an app to get rid of Norton , no way l called apple they did a FaceTime type thing and walked me through what to do 1 minute later all fixed l don't know why l would still want an antivirus but you have helped me decide l will leave it as is thanks again

Antivirus on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.