You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan

I am looking to buy a used macbook for school and came across a macbook pro from early 2008 that is in good condition. It is running el capitan, and I am unsure weather I will be able to search the web and use google drive etc.

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 7:03 PM

Zach_greeny Said:

"Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan: I am looking to buy a used macbook for school and came across a MacBook: pro from early 2008 that is in good condition. It is running el capitan, and I am unsure whether I will be able to search the web and use google drive etc"

-------

Accessing Google Drive On this Device:

No. This device will not meet your expectations. According to Google, you need "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up" (as of the data of this reply). So, get a Mac compatible with "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up": System requirements and browsers - Google Drive Help - Google

Determining which Mac to Get:

Get a Mac compatible with macOS 10.15.7 and after

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See the Models compatible with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Zach_greeny

Zach_greeny Said:

"Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan: I am looking to buy a used macbook for school and came across a MacBook: pro from early 2008 that is in good condition. It is running el capitan, and I am unsure whether I will be able to search the web and use google drive etc"

-------

Accessing Google Drive On this Device:

No. This device will not meet your expectations. According to Google, you need "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up" (as of the data of this reply). So, get a Mac compatible with "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up": System requirements and browsers - Google Drive Help - Google

Determining which Mac to Get:

Get a Mac compatible with macOS 10.15.7 and after

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See the Models compatible with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.