You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMac 27 inch 2017 be a target display?

I want to use my iMac 27 in retina display (2017) as a target display for a MacAIr M2 2022. Is it possible?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 4:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 5:04 PM

No... not without some non-Apple software that I have no experience with, and that may not work in the future. Something called Luna Display I believe.

You are thinking about Target Display Mode: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support. It was limited to a few specific Macs and commensurately few operating systems, and your Macs are not among them.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2023 5:04 PM in response to hcbitt

No... not without some non-Apple software that I have no experience with, and that may not work in the future. Something called Luna Display I believe.

You are thinking about Target Display Mode: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support. It was limited to a few specific Macs and commensurately few operating systems, and your Macs are not among them.

Can iMac 27 inch 2017 be a target display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.