You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad virtual keyboard for Gmail app format only shows BIU

On Notes app, the virtual keyboard for my iPad shows Aa on the top bar, and if I click on that I can format my text choosing font size, etc.

On the keyboard for the Gmail app, however the keyboard top bar doesn’t have the Aa, only BIU can be selected, Bold, Italic and underline.

How can I get the Gmail app to show the same keyboard as Notes?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 4:52 PM

Different instances are going to give you different keyboards. You can edit the text more in the Notes app as that is an Apple Native app that is built into the OS. Gmail is a 3rd party app and they can control what kind of text edit you can get. 3rd party apps are not controlled by Apple in any way and there’s nothing that Apple can do to adjust what settings yo can change on the app and what text fonts you can get. The app is going to use what is programmed into it by the developer and will not allow the same changes that you might be able to change on the native apps.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2023 4:52 PM in response to Mike_9638

Different instances are going to give you different keyboards. You can edit the text more in the Notes app as that is an Apple Native app that is built into the OS. Gmail is a 3rd party app and they can control what kind of text edit you can get. 3rd party apps are not controlled by Apple in any way and there’s nothing that Apple can do to adjust what settings yo can change on the app and what text fonts you can get. The app is going to use what is programmed into it by the developer and will not allow the same changes that you might be able to change on the native apps.

iPad virtual keyboard for Gmail app format only shows BIU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.