You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding videos to a shared album

I added all my photos to a family shared album but I can't add the few videos I took with my iPhone 14pro. The longest one is 3.5 minutes. My sister has a Mac and shared her videos no problem. It keeps saying "there was an error adding the selected items"

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 12:33 PM

Hey there triciach4,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities today.

To get started, based on the information you've provided the videos would be within the time limit to add to a shared album; however, have you ensured that the video is in a supported format? We ask because only H.264 and MPEG-4 file formats can be added to a shared album. You can find this information listed here: Shared Album limits - Apple Support

Supported file types for Shared Albums
Shared Albums upload a copy of your data. Downloaded content may not contain the same information as the original.
* Image formats: HEIF, JPEG, RAW*, PNG, GIF, TIFF
* Video file types and formats: HEVC, MP4, QuickTime, H.264, MPEG-4 

Shared Albums also support special formats that you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, Live Photos, and Memory videos. When shared, photos are reduced to 2048 pixels on the long edge, except panoramic photos, which can be up to 5400 pixels wide. You can share GIFs that are 100MB or smaller.

Videos can be up to fifteen minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution. 

To check the video format, just open the video in the Photos app on your iPhone, and tap the Information button (i). If you've confirmed that the videos are in a supported format, try restarting your iPhone with the steps in this next link here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

While restarting your iPhone may seem like a simple step, it can often help with resolving some unexpected issues like this.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2023 12:33 PM in response to triciach4

Hey there triciach4,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities today.

To get started, based on the information you've provided the videos would be within the time limit to add to a shared album; however, have you ensured that the video is in a supported format? We ask because only H.264 and MPEG-4 file formats can be added to a shared album. You can find this information listed here: Shared Album limits - Apple Support

Supported file types for Shared Albums
Shared Albums upload a copy of your data. Downloaded content may not contain the same information as the original.
* Image formats: HEIF, JPEG, RAW*, PNG, GIF, TIFF
* Video file types and formats: HEVC, MP4, QuickTime, H.264, MPEG-4 

Shared Albums also support special formats that you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, Live Photos, and Memory videos. When shared, photos are reduced to 2048 pixels on the long edge, except panoramic photos, which can be up to 5400 pixels wide. You can share GIFs that are 100MB or smaller.

Videos can be up to fifteen minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution. 

To check the video format, just open the video in the Photos app on your iPhone, and tap the Information button (i). If you've confirmed that the videos are in a supported format, try restarting your iPhone with the steps in this next link here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

While restarting your iPhone may seem like a simple step, it can often help with resolving some unexpected issues like this.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

Oct 9, 2023 4:55 PM in response to triciach4

Hi triciach4,

Thanks for following up with us. If you're still experiencing an issue when trying to add photos to shared albums on your Mac, please check out this link, and ensure the correct process is being used, so we can make sure there aren't any issues there: Add, remove, and edit photos in a shared album in Photos on Mac

Add items to a shared album
1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click a shared album under Shared in the sidebar.
2. Click “Add photos and videos.”
3. Select the photos, video clips, and Live Photos that you want, then click Add.
Subscribers to your shared album can play the video in the Live Photos. To share Live Photos as still images only, see the next task.

If you continue to experience an issue, please contact Apple Support, as they'll be in the best position to help. You may be able to reach them here: Get Support

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2023 3:09 PM in response to Chris_V89

Hello, I just wanted to follow up. The videos I took were indeed taken on my iPhone 14 Pro. I was able to add them to the shared album through my phone but not through my desktop which is how I directed my issue and question. I still have no understanding as to why I couldn't add the same videos when I was working on the shared album via my desktop- it kept saying there was an error.

adding videos to a shared album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.