You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 2 external monitors to an M2, 2022 MacBook Air

Have individual USB-2 connections plugged in. It will recognize one, but not both together. Both laptop ports work - and both monitors will individually work as second monitor regardless of port. Just can't see both together. Anyone know of a solution?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 8:28 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 25, 2024 6:55 PM in response to jasend1

jasend1 wrote:

I have a MacBook Air 2020 M1. And I have a couple docking stations I’m trying to get working. I have one with one HDMI and one wjrh 2 HDMI’s. I also bought an HDMI o Thunderbolt chord.

I can’t get two displays working. You think it’s just a limitation? Or you know if anything I might be able to do?

The M1 MacBook Air supports just a single external display. Apple described this clearly in the Technical Specifications that were available at the time you bought the machine. There is no dock, no adapter that can increase the number of first-class, hardware-supported display outputs.

If you are using a workaround like DisplayLink to add second-class display outputs, that requires

• Using a dock or adapter that has a "magic decoder ring" chip set and
  • Installing matching software on your computer.

Aug 30, 2023 8:37 AM in response to CaddyShack18

CaddyShack18 wrote:

Have individual USB-2 connections plugged in. It will recognize one, but not both together. Both laptop ports work - and both monitors will individually work as second monitor regardless of port. Just can't see both together. Anyone know of a solution?

The specs for your model/year computer MacBook Air (M2, 2022) - Technical Specifications

state: "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

Aug 30, 2023 10:06 AM in response to CaddyShack18

I am using the same MBA as you, I bought a Plugable DisplayLink adaptor on Amazon and it works perfectly. A lot of people seem to think that you get poor display quality with the adaptors, and maybe for graphic intensive gaming you do. But for every day, and even business computing, it works great. I have actually connected 3 27" displays to my Air and it handled it just fine.

May 25, 2024 4:10 PM in response to Rob_3837

Can you help me understand your setup? I have a MacBook Air 2020 M1. And I have a couple docking stations I’m trying to get working. I have one with one HDMI and one wjrh 2 HDMI’s. I also bought an HDMI o Thunderbolt chord.

I can’t get two displays working. You think it’s just a limitation? Or you know if anything I might be able to do?

Connecting 2 external monitors to an M2, 2022 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.