You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes won't load on new computer.

I brought a new computer running Windows 11. I had them transferer all of my stuff off of my old computer onto my new one. Didn't see my iTunes on it so I downloaded iTunes onto this computer but when I try to open it, I get "The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. What do I need to do to get my iTunes back? Thank you for your help. Jim

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 2:55 PM

If your library is in a non-standard location another possibility is that the preference file that records which .itl file to open has been reset or corrupted. This may cause iTunes to open or create a library at the standard path of <User's Music>\iTunes. In this event, press and hold down shift/option as you launch iTunes to reconnect to the correct library file.

In a similar vein it is possible that a corrupt preference file may cause iTunes to fail at launch with one of these errors:

• The file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.
  • The folder “iTunes” is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder.
  • The iTunes Library.itl cannot be found or created. The default location for this file is in the 'iTunes' folder in the 'Music' folder.

It may be worth trying the shift-start-iTunes method (option on a Mac) to actively select the .itl file that should contain your library. If you still get the error message try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows and/or check for interference from anti-virus software.

For more info, see:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrad… - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2023 2:55 PM in response to jlowe51

If your library is in a non-standard location another possibility is that the preference file that records which .itl file to open has been reset or corrupted. This may cause iTunes to open or create a library at the standard path of <User's Music>\iTunes. In this event, press and hold down shift/option as you launch iTunes to reconnect to the correct library file.

In a similar vein it is possible that a corrupt preference file may cause iTunes to fail at launch with one of these errors:

• The file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.
  • The folder “iTunes” is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder.
  • The iTunes Library.itl cannot be found or created. The default location for this file is in the 'iTunes' folder in the 'Music' folder.

It may be worth trying the shift-start-iTunes method (option on a Mac) to actively select the .itl file that should contain your library. If you still get the error message try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows and/or check for interference from anti-virus software.

For more info, see:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrad… - Apple Community

Itunes won't load on new computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.