You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Numbers 13.1 - Cannot type in header or footer!!!

Can Apple please explain why I can't type custom text in the header and footer of numbers? This is incredibly frustrating - not to be able to do this simple task in a supposedly grown-up spreadsheet Application is completely unacceptable. I'm preparing a large number of spreadsheets for Court documents and not to have the ability to put references and document sources in the headers and footers is wasting so much of my time... Apart from the completely mindnumbing cut and pasting into the boxes is there any other way I can quickly type custom text???? Thanking you in advance for any replies.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 9:37 AM

9 replies

Sep 4, 2023 6:28 AM in response to BlueStudios

Try starting afresh with a new settings file.

Quit Numbers and paste this path in Finder's Go / Go To Folder... dialog box:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Numbers/Data/Library/Preferences/

From the window that opens drag this file to the desktop. Do not leave a copy behind in this directory.

com.apple.iWork.Numbers.plist

Restart Numbers and try the headers and footers. If it doesn't help and you want to get your old settings back, quit Numbers and put the file on the desktop back to its original location. If it works you can trash the file that was dragged to the desktop; you might have to set some Numbers settings back manually, like default zoom, ruler, etc.

Jan 22, 2024 8:54 AM in response to BlueStudios

After working with several Apple tech's, we ended up creating a new user account and tried Numbers header/footer input. It worked just fine. So I ended up creating a new user account and transferred everything to the new user account. No more issues. I deleted the old user account about a month later since I had no issues with the newly created User account.

Mar 21, 2024 5:22 AM in response to cameeure68

Ok. Have the same problem as everyone else here. Only just realised that typing in the footer was broken.

Mine is Sonoma 14.4, Numbers version 13.2. Deleting the pref file does not work.

I can add page numbers, page counts and dates using the insert menu. But no text option there.

But as a workaround, I found that you can paste any text. It's painful... but a simple example will be;

I had to copy and paste "Page ", insert Page number using menu, "of ", insert count using menu.

Hope this workaround helps until the text insert if fixed.

Jun 4, 2024 11:25 AM in response to BlueStudios

My printer page won't allow me to type in title, date, page numbers or anything either but difference is, I am using Numbers version 12.2.1 (7035.0.161)

It just started doing this about a month ago (May 2024) (at least that's when I noticed it). In the meantime, I am taking my header row and typing my title there, using a repeat print so it will show on all the printed pages. It is frustrating and seeing how I have an older version than you, is not comforting. Is there a fix from Apple yet?

Apple Numbers 13.1 - Cannot type in header or footer!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.