You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice to text duplication.

Every time I type several paragraphs to send as a message, the dictation is duplicated. This is annoying when sending a larger message. All of the duplication has to be erased manually.

Shutting off voice control,

*(every time I type several paragraphs to send as a message, the dictation is duplicated. This is annoying when sending a larger message. All of the duplication has to be erased manually.)

All of the options previously mentioned in similar questions that were posited have not solved this problem. Shutting off voice control does not solve the issue. Rebooting my phone does not solve the issue.

I believe this to be a much more complicated problem that no one was able to resolve the last time. This question came up. Is anyone capable of understanding the problem and providing a meaningful solution. I would be thankful for a real solution to this problem.

• note that while I was typing out this message to the community, the section around which I placed parentheses were repeated. Hence, you see an actual demonstration of the problem.

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 5:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2024 12:40 AM

Everywhere online people are complaining about how defective and dysfunctional iPhone voice to text his. There is no user solution. Fix it Apple. if you were engineers can’t fix it, find somebody who can.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 6, 2023 12:45 AM in response to Germanized1

It seems like you're experiencing a frustrating issue with your voice dictation on your phone where the text you dictate gets duplicated when you type several paragraphs. If turning off voice control and rebooting your phone haven't resolved the problem, there are a few more steps you can try:

1. Make sure you're using the latest version of the third-party keyboard app you're using. Sometimes, app updates can fix bugs and improve performance. By reaching out to the app developer, you increase your chances of receiving accurate and personalized support for the challenges you're experiencing. To contact an App developer --> How to contact an app developer - Apple Support
  2. In your phone's settings, you can reset the keyboard settings to default. This can often fix unusual behavior in typing and dictation. Go to Settings > General > Reset. Tap Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
  3. Ensure your phone's operating system is up to date. Sometimes, system updates include fixes for keyboard and input-related issues.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  4. If the problem persists, consider installing a different keyboard app from the app store to see if the issue is specific to your current keyboard app.
  5. As a last resort, you could try a factory reset on your phone, but please make sure to back up all your data before doing so. This should only be considered if all other options have failed.

Remember, it can be frustrating when technical issues like this persist, but with some patience and troubleshooting, you should be able to find a solution

May 20, 2024 1:41 PM in response to Germanized1

I get that Sravan is trying to help.. but im sure the OP is exhausted with not only the ACTUAL insanely annoying problem that so many people are discussing online but also with having to describe, yet again, what is happening.... especially cause if you do a google search for "duplicate text when dictating on iPhone" and you will see pages upon pages of results.... so no.. its not VoiceOver.. even thought ive seen that "solution" 67 times on various threads.. its just not that.... even if it is some setting.. how the heck is it so hard to find... and this is for lots of people that are extremely tech and iPhone literate can't figure it out... can we get some help from Apple on this??

Sep 6, 2023 12:38 AM in response to Germanized1

Are you using both Voice Over and Dictation?

With VoiceOver—a gesture-based screen reader—you can use iPhone even if you can't see the screen. VoiceOver gives audible descriptions of what's on your screen—from battery level, to who's calling, to which app your finger is on. You can also adjust the speaking rate and pitch to suit your needs.

Turn on and practice VoiceOver on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

Sep 6, 2023 12:40 AM in response to Germanized1

Germanized1 wrote:

I believe this to be a much more complicated problem that no one was able to resolve the last time. This question came up. Is anyone capable of understanding the problem and providing a meaningful solution. I would be thankful for a real solution to this problem.

Complication does arise if little or no relevant information is provided.

You may get better and prompt responses if you may kindly provide the iPhone Model that you have and the iOS version if it is known to you and re-post.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

May 13, 2024 12:36 AM in response to Germanized1

I had Dragon dictate on a Windows 95 computer and it worked pretty close to flawlessly. I would think that by now Apple could get voice to text working properly. It would seem that an update could fix the problem so now I’m wondering if this isn’t just one more thing a big tech is doing the frustrate people and to get them used to accepting the unacceptable. A lot of people who are blind or disabled in other ways need voice to text and you would think by 2024 Apple would’ve gotten it right by now. Something doesn’t seem kosher.

Voice to text duplication.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.