You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest OS for my MacBook Air?

Restarting a MacBook Air, wondering whether it can accept the OS update, as it is not progressing

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 2:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 3:29 AM

Confirming what MacTracker said: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Software Update was offering you a compatible version. It just wasn't getting it downloaded. Which is why you might want to try the App Store route in the hopes that it is more reliable.

6 replies

Sep 7, 2023 3:22 AM in response to epal77

A 13" Mid 2013 MacBook Air can run Big Sur – but not Monterey or later.

If you want to upgrade to Big Sur, you might try doing it through the App Store link in the following Apple Support article, instead of through Software Update. Maybe you'll have more luck that way.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

I'm going to ask the moderators to edit out your serial number. It's not a good idea to post those in a worldwide forum (and we don't need them to check compatibility).

Sep 7, 2023 3:23 AM in response to epal77

Hello and thanks for your interest.

MacBook Air 13" mid 2013 C0****5V7

Father had it factory reset when he bought a new one recently. It now has Catalina 10.15.7.

Checking for updates I'm invited to accept Big Sur 11.7.9 but the progress bar goes about 15% and hangs, with "about one minute remaining", indefinitely. After an hour I shut it down and restarted, and the MacBook is doing all I need it to on the internet.

I'm surprised it suggested updating to an OS that it isn't compatible with, as the system presumably knows what age the device is?

Again, thanks for your interest and maybe I'll just leave it with Catalina!

Regards - Doug

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 7, 2023 7:26 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Hello Servant of Cats. The status report is that after a few hours I am at the stage of selecting the disc where I want to install Big Sur. Two options, with the same 14 GB available space. 17.2 GB additional space is needed to install Big Sur, so the "Continue" button is not available!

So I guess I'm staying with Catalina, and I am offered a security update for that. And apparently there's a Safari update.

Again, many thanks for your patience and advice.

All the Best - Doug

Latest OS for my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.