You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX for iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

I received iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) as gift I installed High Sierra but iMac is very slow.

What OSX do you suggest to install to get best performance ?

I know It's obsolete but I want to keep this hardware.

How can I retrieve installation file of older OSX to create USB key for installation ?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 1:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 6:40 PM

10.13 is the highest that model can run. Reverting an older macOS version is unlikely to speed things up. That is based on my experience with a 2010 iMac.

If it seems slow, history here teaches that it is likely the mechanical hard drive inside, not the OS or amount of RAM.

However, other software factors can be at play. Anti-virus software, so-called "cleaning" apps, and client-side VPNs can all slow your computer. If you've installed any of those unholy encumbrances, removing them can gain back some speed.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2023 6:40 PM in response to Rickyleroy

10.13 is the highest that model can run. Reverting an older macOS version is unlikely to speed things up. That is based on my experience with a 2010 iMac.

If it seems slow, history here teaches that it is likely the mechanical hard drive inside, not the OS or amount of RAM.

However, other software factors can be at play. Anti-virus software, so-called "cleaning" apps, and client-side VPNs can all slow your computer. If you've installed any of those unholy encumbrances, removing them can gain back some speed.

OSX for iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.