You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from multiple devices (iPhone and iPad) onto a single new iPhone?

What I want to do should be simple but I am baffled as to the best way to do it. I have a iPhone 6s with lots of photos which I am due to retire soon as it is on its last legs. I also have an iPad which also has a lot of photos and videos on it. Due to the iPad having more storage than the iPhone I have more on this device but across both devices the photos / videos are not the same. Some a duplicated, others are on one and not the other.

I am planning on getting a new iPhone and want to amalgamate everything so everything is in one place. I can figure out how to transfer all of the iPhone photos to the new device during setup, but can’t see how I would then get all of the iPad photos there too. Once all on the single iPhone, I would then plan to remove duplicates, and would then also switch on iCloud.

that’s the plan anyway, if I can figure out how. I’d prefer not to solely use iCloud as like to have copies on my device.

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 5:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 5:49 AM

Hello,

On all devices turn on iCloud photos: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and turn it on. This should transfer all photos from all devices into the iCloud. This assumes that you are using the same Apple ID on all devices.

Note: if you have a lot of photos, you could run out of iCloud storage. If so, see this:

Upgrade to iCloud+

Also see:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Good luck.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2023 5:49 AM in response to Waspereeze

Hello,

On all devices turn on iCloud photos: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and turn it on. This should transfer all photos from all devices into the iCloud. This assumes that you are using the same Apple ID on all devices.

Note: if you have a lot of photos, you could run out of iCloud storage. If so, see this:

Upgrade to iCloud+

Also see:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Good luck.

Sep 9, 2023 6:00 AM in response to MrBill3

Thank you for your answer. I understand that I need to upload all photos and videos from my iPad and old iPhone to iCloud. But what action would I then need to take in order to download them onto my “new” phone? And when I get rid of the old phone and delete all the old photos and videos off it, but that mean they simultaneously also get deleted from iCloud? To be honest I do get a bit confused with iCloud and photos

Transferring photos from multiple devices (iPhone and iPad) onto a single new iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.