You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac not turning on after factory reset without installing macos

So the title says it all basically : I tried factory resetting my 2018 macbook using the apple support guide but I failed to install the latest version of macos as the last step and now I can't even turn on the mac to get to recovery mode and install it. Can someone help me please ?

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 10:58 AM

You didn't say what OS the Mac was using.

Without an operating system there is no computer to turn on. All you have is a case full of electronics that do nothing.

If this is the procedure you followed, you need to use the bootable flash to install the OS: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If by "reset" you mean you erased the drive, you're going to have to find a working Mac to create the bootable Flash drive.

If you didn't erase the drive: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Choose the OS as appropriate.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2023 10:58 AM in response to Gràa

You didn't say what OS the Mac was using.

Without an operating system there is no computer to turn on. All you have is a case full of electronics that do nothing.

If this is the procedure you followed, you need to use the bootable flash to install the OS: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If by "reset" you mean you erased the drive, you're going to have to find a working Mac to create the bootable Flash drive.

If you didn't erase the drive: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Choose the OS as appropriate.

Mac not turning on after factory reset without installing macos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.