You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M2 Macbook Pro 2023 Screen flickering/refreshing?

I purchased my MacBook Pro in May of this year, and have had an ongoing issue for the past few months since I have had it where the screen is randomly refreshing/flickering when I am using it. I have been using it for school and do a lot of writing and general internet things on it as well as graphic design and light gaming. Even though it only happens every now and again, It is really annoying and hurts my eyes especially when I am writing an essay. It's not exactly the same every time it happens either, sometimes it seems to start from the left, or other times it starts from the top for example. I have tried multiple online fixes, from adjusting the battery settings, doing a diagnostic, and changing my screen display settings. All to no avail. I don't think this is normal and have tried capturing it multiple times with no luck until today when I was playing a game and got lucky enough to capture it on my phone as it happened. Any help with this is very much appreciated.

Here is a link to the video of it happening: https://youtube.com/shorts/qfZbzWAHMPo?feature=share

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 4:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 9:42 PM

OhMegAHH Said:

"M2 Macbook Pro 2023 Screen flickering/refreshing?: Thank you for your reply! It happens once in the video, it's really quick, Bink and you miss it. This is why I have been having issues recording it as it happens. I don't have any issues with the cursor."

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshooting a Screen Flickering:

A. Try Safe Mode:

While in Safe Mode, try using this browser. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Try: this once more
  4. Restart the Mac Normally
  5. Try: this once more

B. Single-Out this User:

Try an Admin new user, see if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac.

C. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2023 9:42 PM in response to OhMegAHH

OhMegAHH Said:

"M2 Macbook Pro 2023 Screen flickering/refreshing?: Thank you for your reply! It happens once in the video, it's really quick, Bink and you miss it. This is why I have been having issues recording it as it happens. I don't have any issues with the cursor."

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshooting a Screen Flickering:

A. Try Safe Mode:

While in Safe Mode, try using this browser. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Try: this once more
  4. Restart the Mac Normally
  5. Try: this once more

B. Single-Out this User:

Try an Admin new user, see if you do not get this occur while in it. If so, then it is an issue with the configuration of the current user. If not, then it is an issue with the entire Mac.

C. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Sep 10, 2023 5:04 PM in response to OhMegAHH

OhMegAHH Said:

"M2 Macbook Pro 2023 Screen flickering/refreshing?: I purchased my MacBook Pro in May of this year, and have had an ongoing issue for the past few months since I have had it where the screen is randomly refreshing/flickering when I am using it. [...]Here is a link to the video of it happening: https://youtube.com/shorts/qfZbzWAHMPo?feature=share"

-------

Thank you for the video.

Troubleshooting a Jolting Cursor:

I don't see any flickering. As for the jolting of the cursor, shut down the Mac and boot in Safe Mode. Then, try logging in seeing if this no longer occurs. Then, restart normally, trying this all once more. Start Up your Mac in Safe Mode - Apple Support

M2 Macbook Pro 2023 Screen flickering/refreshing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.