You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

an someone thoroughly explain what the optical zoom function is on iPhone in the Camera app?

i was on the apple website using the compare iphone models option and I came up to where it mentions optical zoom options. I might got the wrong idea of what it is but I have an iPhone 13 and i was comparing it to the new iPhone 15 it says optical zoom for the 13 is .5 and .1. But when i go on my camera I’m able to zoom in up to 5x on photo and 3x camera.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 1:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 6:34 PM

Hi gtg1921,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Wondering if this Apple support article may be helpful: iPhone camera basics - Apple Support

Eg: says:

Zoom in or out

• On all models, open Camera and pinch the screen to zoom in or out.
  • On iPhone models with Dual and Triple camera systems, toggle between 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 2.5x, and 3x to quickly zoom in or out (depending on your model). For a more precise zoom, touch and hold the zoom controls, then drag the slider right or left.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

To zoom in or out (eg: when editing) on a Photo is different, as you can zoom right in to see pixels in some apps.

Also: Accessibility settings can allow for zoom in and out on many other things while viewed on the iPhone screen.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

We don't seem to have a lot of precise info. about the workings of features of the new iPhone 15's camera yet.

Shopping help would likely know the most at this stage.

All the. best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2023 6:34 PM in response to gtg1921

Hi gtg1921,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Wondering if this Apple support article may be helpful: iPhone camera basics - Apple Support

Eg: says:

Zoom in or out

• On all models, open Camera and pinch the screen to zoom in or out.
  • On iPhone models with Dual and Triple camera systems, toggle between 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 2.5x, and 3x to quickly zoom in or out (depending on your model). For a more precise zoom, touch and hold the zoom controls, then drag the slider right or left.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

To zoom in or out (eg: when editing) on a Photo is different, as you can zoom right in to see pixels in some apps.

Also: Accessibility settings can allow for zoom in and out on many other things while viewed on the iPhone screen.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

We don't seem to have a lot of precise info. about the workings of features of the new iPhone 15's camera yet.

Shopping help would likely know the most at this stage.

All the. best :-)

an someone thoroughly explain what the optical zoom function is on iPhone in the Camera app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.