You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing 'Top Hits' in MacOS Mail

When performing a search within macOS Mail, the search results are always preceded by two items at the top which are generally not what one is looking for, although they are labeled by Apple, in its infinite wisdom, as "Top Hits." This can be confusing, because sometimes the Top Hits messages are actually quite old, and there's not much to separate these from the actual search result list sorted in user-defined sequence. It's possible to mistakenly respond to an old message.

There is no way to configure this or to turn it off. But I just discovered a workaround, thanks to a comment made in another thread.

The workaround:

Even if you do not routinely use "Column Layout" in your Mail viewing, click on "Use Column Layout," in the View menu, to do your search. Then click again on "Use Column Layout" to return to your preferred view, and Top Hits will not be there.

For some reason, Apple chose not to inflict the Top Hits concept on Column View users, as they acknowledge here.

There are at least two threads dealing with this issue in various OS versions. I'll link to those here, in case it helps to tie things together.

Remove Top Hits from Mac Mail High Sierra

Removing 'Top Hits' in MacOS Ventura Mail

It was dialabrain's comment in the latter article that pointed me toward this workaround.

Thanks.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 5:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2024 7:45 PM

is there are way to not have top hits on the phone???? it is USELESS!!!

3 replies

Sep 13, 2023 1:00 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The specific sequence has to be

• select "Use Column Layout"
  • enter the search terms
  • de-select "Use Column Layout

In other words, you can't do the search first, and then toggle Column view on/off. Nope. That would be too easy! You have to go to Column View, which no one uses (except that one guy), then do the search, then switch back to non-column layout.

I hope that helps? At least it is working for me. I just used it, to my great delight.

Sep 13, 2023 3:17 AM in response to Keith Gardner1

Keith Gardner1 wrote:

The workaround:
Even if you do not routinely use "Column Layout" in your Mail viewing, click on "Use Column Layout," in the View menu, to do your search. Then click again on "Use Column Layout" to return to your preferred view, and Top Hits will not be there.

I'm not seeing that; as soon as I deselect "Use Column Layout", the "Top Hits" return.

Any idea why?

I feel that there must be a "2" somewhere in macOS which we could hack to change it to "0" to fix this!!

Me thinks "Haystake" and "Needle" come to mind ...

Removing 'Top Hits' in MacOS Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.