You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new mac book air and cannot get my external laptop monitor to work with it

The monitor lights up and shows the brand logo when I plug it in but it does not connect or show up as a display option

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 3:02 PM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2023 3:20 PM in response to Meeshee7744

Meeshee7744 Said:

"I have a new mac book air and cannot get my external laptop monitor to work with it: Thank you, unfortunately this did not work.

———-

You are welcome.

Getting a Monitor to Work:

A. Research the Model:

Find the model of the monitor (look for a stick on the back with it, ir with the Serial Number). From there, find the user’s guide of the monitor, seeing if it is incompatible with a Mac.

B. Contact the Manufacturer:

Provide the manufacture with the model of your Mac. Ask them if they are compatible with your Mac. Provide them with the model of the monitor of your Mac.

C. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Only Macs): Sometimes changes(i.e. formats) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Displays) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac. Perhaps the keyboard's settings for it keys are mingled. It might take upto three tries to reset both. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

but this time, using an external keyboard.

Sep 14, 2023 10:20 PM in response to Meeshee7744

Meeshee7744 Said:

"I have a new mac book air and cannot get my external laptop monitor to work with it: The monitor lights up and shows the brand logo when I plug it in but it does not connect or show up as a display option"

-------

Try Mirroring the Home Screen:

• Without Touch Pad: [command + Dim Display]
  • With Touchpad: [command + F1]

That will mirror the Home Screen, and allow you to use it as if it were you laptop's screen. Note the "Dim Display is located above the 1 and the 2 keys of the keyboard.

I have a new mac book air and cannot get my external laptop monitor to work with it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.