You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac mini connects to wifi but not the internet. Everything is up to date and I have followed all the recommended actions from Apple Still no internet. Can anybody help?

My mac mini will connect to wifi but not the internet. I have updated everything, cleaned my hard disc and actioned everything I can find on the internet, but still it will not connect to the internet via wifi. Ethernet connection works fine, but this is not available where I use my mac.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 11:16 AM

Hi den.thed,

Contacting the supplier of the mesh system that i am using helped (I need the mesh - huge house) worked as it separated the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz elements. The chat connection was lost during this and I haven't been able to reestablish it yet. The outcome was that the mac mini connected perfectly to the 5GHz broadcast, but those things that preferred the 2.4Ghz wouldn't connect to the internet. The solution is there somewhere surrounding this, but I am not there yet. I will come back to you again when this is resolved. Seems like many others have this issue with a mac mini M2. Thanks for your help thus far.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2023 11:16 AM in response to den.thed

Hi den.thed,

Contacting the supplier of the mesh system that i am using helped (I need the mesh - huge house) worked as it separated the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz elements. The chat connection was lost during this and I haven't been able to reestablish it yet. The outcome was that the mac mini connected perfectly to the 5GHz broadcast, but those things that preferred the 2.4Ghz wouldn't connect to the internet. The solution is there somewhere surrounding this, but I am not there yet. I will come back to you again when this is resolved. Seems like many others have this issue with a mac mini M2. Thanks for your help thus far.

Sep 15, 2023 1:27 PM in response to 44Simon

Might try this...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Sep 15, 2023 1:47 PM in response to den.thed

Have you confirmed that your Mac has a valid IP address on your local network? If not, hold the option key and click on the wireless icon in the menu bar. It should tell you the IP address is and the router address - let us know what they are .

Could you confirm the DNS settings - open Terminal (Applications>Utilities) and type "networksetup getdnsservers Wi-Fi" without the quotation marks then hit enter and let us know.

Can other devices connect to the internet over wireless? i.e. is it just your Mac that can't connect.

You should check that your wireless access point hasn't got any Wireless Mac address filtering set up that could be prevent your Mac connecting. Ditto firewall settings or parental controls.

Sep 16, 2023 5:44 AM in response to den.thed

Hi again,

I have had a long chat with the Linksys helpline. Initially they asked me to separate the 5 and 2.4Ghz transmissions. While that worked for the mac mini it locked everything else out. It being late here I left it until this morning. Oddly the linksys nodes are still broadcasting on both 2.4 and 5Ghz, but everything connects fine - not sure I understand what cured this but on the basis of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I will leave well alone now and let things settle down.

Thank you very much for your help and advice, first time I have used the Community and the response has been fantastic.

Sep 16, 2023 5:49 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thank you for this response. The issue is now resolved (at least for now....) and all my devices connect via wifi well. I am not absolutely sure what resolved the issue; the nodes are still broadcasting on both 5 and 2.4 Ghz and my devices are connecting on one or the other frequency. Clearly I am no expert, but I think I will leave well alone now and monitor what is going on. I will keep these responses just in case the issue reappears.

Have a great weekend.

My mac mini connects to wifi but not the internet. Everything is up to date and I have followed all the recommended actions from Apple Still no internet. Can anybody help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.