You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external optical drives not working on USB 3.1

I recently purchased 3 Verbatim Slimline CD/DVD Writers.

Now here’s the problem. I have a MacBook Pro M2 (2023 running Ventura 13.2.1) and the laptop won’t recognize the drives. Power gets to the drive, it blinks, I can open/close it, and I can see it in the System Report settings under the USB Device Bus Tree at USB 3.1. But the drive doesn’t get recognized and no disc ever spins up. I tried all the ports, different cables, Apple cables, third party cables, different USB-A to USB-C adapters Apple and third party, even different drives, nothing.

I also tried it on a 2020 Mac Mini M1 running Monterey 12.5. SAME EXACT problem with the USB-C 3.1 ports but when I try the 3.0 USB-A port, boom, it works flawlessly.

So I dunno what to do. The drives are advertised as USB 3.2 Gen 1. Am I just outta luck? Is there anyway to downgrade my MacBooks USB 3.1 ports so they only run at 3.0?

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 1:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 2:19 AM

As couple of things

1 - (2023 running Ventura 13.2.1) - try updating to current version 13.5.2

2 - Mac Mini M1 running Monterey 12.5. - try updating to current version 12.6.9

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.5.2

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.9

3 - Connect the drive Directly to the computer and without any Hub or such

4 - MacBook Pro M2 ONLY >>

If your Mac asks you to allow an accessory to connect - Apple Support

Excerpt from link above

When you use a new or unknown USB accessory, Thunderbolt accessory, or SD card with your Mac laptop with Apple silicon and macOS Ventura or later,

Aside - have a Lacie DVD+ external with USB-A Male connectors. Use an inexpensive USB-A to USB-C third party dongle on a M2 Laptop and works fine

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2023 2:19 AM in response to flohopf

As couple of things

1 - (2023 running Ventura 13.2.1) - try updating to current version 13.5.2

2 - Mac Mini M1 running Monterey 12.5. - try updating to current version 12.6.9

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.5.2

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.9

3 - Connect the drive Directly to the computer and without any Hub or such

4 - MacBook Pro M2 ONLY >>

If your Mac asks you to allow an accessory to connect - Apple Support

Excerpt from link above

When you use a new or unknown USB accessory, Thunderbolt accessory, or SD card with your Mac laptop with Apple silicon and macOS Ventura or later,

Aside - have a Lacie DVD+ external with USB-A Male connectors. Use an inexpensive USB-A to USB-C third party dongle on a M2 Laptop and works fine

Sep 17, 2023 2:25 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the reply.

The drive is connected directly. I haven’t tried using a hub yet, that was just an idea.

I allowed the device/accessory when promoted. I even went into the settings and changed to “ask every time” and allowed again just to be safe.

Updating to Ventura 13.5.2 seems to be my only option.

Sep 17, 2023 8:06 AM in response to PRP_53

That adapter came with the drive. The cable is USB-C port from the drive to USB-A, which then had that adapter for the MacBook’s USB-C port. I even switched that adapter for Apple’s official USB-A to USB-C adapter. And then I tried just a USB-C cable directly. An official Apple cable and a third party cable. All didn’t work.

I honestly feel like this is a software issue in MacOS and not the cable or adapters doing what they’re supposed to.

Like I said, I can see the drive in the System Report in MacOS. Its just not letting me use it.

Sep 17, 2023 9:08 AM in response to PRP_53

The 3.0 doesn’t help me on the MacBook Pro because it doesn’t have it. I only have 3 3.1 ports. That’s the whole point here. Obviously everything 3.0 should work on 3.1, but it’s just not in this case.

And I mean “just live with it” for almost a $3000 laptop is a cruel joke.

Verbatim has been contacted, but it’s just Sunday so I won’t hear anything today, probably for a couple days.

external optical drives not working on USB 3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.