You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac OS X El Capitán starting up on OS X utilities after erasing untitled disk

So I was trying to factory reset my iMac and erased an Untitled disk reading "511.25 GB SATA Internal Physical Volume OS X Extended" After that I restarted my iMac it started up on the OS X Utilities, I also have been trying to reinstall the OS X El Capitán on my iMac but after verifying my apple id and agreeing to terms it just said that it was temporarily unavailable. I don't want to do to much myself in case I'm just further damaging the iMac. Thank you in advance!

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 6:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 5:01 PM

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

In Disk Utility>View, select Show al Devices, highlight the top left entry.

APFS won't work for Sierra or earlier, Sierra or earlier needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793247?answerId=258936149022#258936149022

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

An Error Occurred While Preparing The Ins… - Apple Community

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2023 5:01 PM in response to Anonymous_0225

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

In Disk Utility>View, select Show al Devices, highlight the top left entry.

APFS won't work for Sierra or earlier, Sierra or earlier needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793247?answerId=258936149022#258936149022

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

An Error Occurred While Preparing The Ins… - Apple Community

iMac OS X El Capitán starting up on OS X utilities after erasing untitled disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.