You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software updates using mobile data even though set to wifi only

Hi All.

I recently started experiencing the strangest issue regarding my mobile data being used up. By system services - software updates.

i have an iphone 13.

twice in the last week this happened.

in SA we pay a lot for mobile data and therefore I use it sparingly and only buy what I need.

twice this week I bought 1gb and almost all of us was consumed by these software updates…

my iphone is up to date in terms of the iOS.

setting in mobile data is set to not use mobile data. Wifi assist, icloud drive and icloud backup all switched off at the bottom of mobile data.

i can switch off every app except the system services. And when I go in there I can see software updates used 1gb of data but it is not telling what updated or how I can switch it off.

please help!

I don’t know what to do anymore.

screenshots below. I reset the stats on monday morning after an update consumed 800mb sunday evening (while I was at home and at wifi..!!!!). Today it used 200mb while I was using an app which can be see below.

is there anyway to stop this from happening?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 8:56 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 18, 2023 9:28 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

yes 208mb seem small but what you are not seeing is the 800mb it used on sunday. That is 1gb which is significant.

i use wifi for updates all the time.

almost all my apps are switched off for mobile data, including the app store for app updates.

the issue is i can’t switch off this system services. Or i need to switch off mobile data entirely which is not great as then i can’t use whatsapp.

this is happening over and over and it is vert expensive in south africa to buy more mobile data all the time

Software updates using mobile data even though set to wifi only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.