You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume buttons on iPad Pro

Dynamic volume buttons stopped working after updating to iPadOS 17, can’t find the option to switch back in sound settings.

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:24 AM

The tags appended to your post suggest that you have sixth generation iPad Pro.

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. The “logic” behind dynamic volume controls is such that regardless of the screen orientation, the relative function remains constant - as follows:

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a vertical edge of the iPad, the uppermost button will always increase the volume. Conversely, lower button will decrease the volume.

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a horizontal edge of then iPad, the button on the right will increase the volume - while the button on the left will decrease the volume.

For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to disable this feature is not available for any new models of iPad and iPad Pro that have since been launched - these models being:

• iPad Air5
  • iPad mini6
  • fourth generation iPad Pro 11”
  • sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”
  • iPad10

This is documented within this recently updated Apple Support document:

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2023 7:24 AM in response to ParkerHalnott

The tags appended to your post suggest that you have sixth generation iPad Pro.

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. The “logic” behind dynamic volume controls is such that regardless of the screen orientation, the relative function remains constant - as follows:

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a vertical edge of the iPad, the uppermost button will always increase the volume. Conversely, lower button will decrease the volume.

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a horizontal edge of then iPad, the button on the right will increase the volume - while the button on the left will decrease the volume.

For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to disable this feature is not available for any new models of iPad and iPad Pro that have since been launched - these models being:

• iPad Air5
  • iPad mini6
  • fourth generation iPad Pro 11”
  • sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”
  • iPad10

This is documented within this recently updated Apple Support document:

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

Jul 12, 2024 8:57 AM in response to HaydonRyan

Have you read my previous reply to this topic?

While written 10 months ago, prior to release of the new iPad Pro M4 and iPad Air M2, the explantation of how the Dynamic Volume Controls work with your iPad are just the same.

Apple does invite submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

If you would like to be able to disable this feature in favour of fixed-function volume buttons, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your voice heard.

Jul 12, 2024 8:45 AM in response to ParkerHalnott

It's crazy to me (and driving me crazy) that I can't disable this on my brand new M4 iPad pro.

I'm on with support now and they're clueless in this.

It's crazy to me that apple have removed the ability to disable this.

instead of "the left button goes up when i feel it" (eg option disabled) it's now

"the left button goes down if it's in landscape mode, if you have it in portrait mode, now it goes up"

Love the new ipad except for this feature.

Volume buttons on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.