You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home app problems with dimming lights after update ios 17

I just installed IOS 17. Now I experience that when I switch on a Hue light in the Home app it switches on but when I tap again to go to the dimmer percentage slider the slider moves , but the percentage is stuck and the light does not dim.

I searched several sources if this is a know problem.

#note: the new Home widget shows the correct percentage

iPhone XS Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 12:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2024 5:40 PM

I just noticed the same thing. Now Apple Home no longer controls my wifi dimmer switches and swaps to just a lightbulb icon with a strike through and changes to full on or full off. The app from the switch manufacturer still dims the light switches/bulbs and Apple Home shows the percent illumination in the tile but will no longer control the brightness of the switch. This is particularly frustrating because Apple is using software update "torture" by constantly badgering us to update our iOS and other OS systems but then when we do Apple is breaking them. I just want to stay on an operating system that works and not be badgered into upgrading into broken software like this. Every time I turn on my iPad, MacBook Pro or AppleTV, I'm being begged by Apple to update the software, only to find more broken code every time.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2024 5:40 PM in response to oracleofhapert

I just noticed the same thing. Now Apple Home no longer controls my wifi dimmer switches and swaps to just a lightbulb icon with a strike through and changes to full on or full off. The app from the switch manufacturer still dims the light switches/bulbs and Apple Home shows the percent illumination in the tile but will no longer control the brightness of the switch. This is particularly frustrating because Apple is using software update "torture" by constantly badgering us to update our iOS and other OS systems but then when we do Apple is breaking them. I just want to stay on an operating system that works and not be badgered into upgrading into broken software like this. Every time I turn on my iPad, MacBook Pro or AppleTV, I'm being begged by Apple to update the software, only to find more broken code every time.

Jun 2, 2024 8:43 PM in response to Vancouver22

Restarting my MacBook Pro doesn't help. This is a new behavior. The switch app can set a % on the dimmer switch and the Apple Home app shows this % set... then when you show controls in the Home App for that light and touch the controller the bulb icon in the slider turns into a bulb with a strike through and the light goes to full on. The Home App seems to not recognize the dimmer switches any more and thinks its just a wall switch now.

[Edited by Moderator]

Home app problems with dimming lights after update ios 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.