You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Mac book Pro purchased end of 2021. On a regular basis I cannot connect to the internet

i cannot connect to the internet. this sometimes goes on for 5 days.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 9:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:56 PM

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting WiFi issues:

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

You definitely need to determine whether you laptop is connecting to the WiFi, since that is the first necessary requirement. Even if your laptop is connecting to the WiFi, it must be getting a valid IP address from the router. If you have a valid legitimate IP address from your router, then you must determine whether the issue affects all websites or just certain ones. It also helps to know if any other devices have issues connecting to the Internet or the WiFi since that may indicate a problem with your router, your ISP, or local Internet.

If you are using any anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, or third party security utilities including a VPN, then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. These types of apps are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve. A VPN does not provide the privacy you think it does unless you are connecting directly to the VPN portal provided by an employer, school, or business. Unfortunately Safe Mode may not be of value if those apps modified certain macOS system preferences, but I guess you can try Safe Mode.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2023 12:56 PM in response to deannafromaruba

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting WiFi issues:

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

You definitely need to determine whether you laptop is connecting to the WiFi, since that is the first necessary requirement. Even if your laptop is connecting to the WiFi, it must be getting a valid IP address from the router. If you have a valid legitimate IP address from your router, then you must determine whether the issue affects all websites or just certain ones. It also helps to know if any other devices have issues connecting to the Internet or the WiFi since that may indicate a problem with your router, your ISP, or local Internet.

If you are using any anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, or third party security utilities including a VPN, then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. These types of apps are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve. A VPN does not provide the privacy you think it does unless you are connecting directly to the VPN portal provided by an employer, school, or business. Unfortunately Safe Mode may not be of value if those apps modified certain macOS system preferences, but I guess you can try Safe Mode.

Sep 24, 2023 7:28 PM in response to deannafromaruba

deannafromaruba wrote:

I am connected now but for the same token half an hour from now not connection.

Is it always an exact certain period of time or at a certain time of day? If so, then look at your Focus settings which may be temporarily limiting your access. Maybe even look at management settings such as Parental Controls (or whatever similar macOS setting/preference it may be called now).

It is only with my macbook pro. not with my iphones, not with my ipad. It happens in other homes and places as well. I can be sitting next to my husband here at home. He connects and I do not.

Most likely there is some software or configuration issue with this laptop.

I'm assuming Apple had you try booting into Safe Mode & using a new macOS user account and that the issue still occurred? If you are using any anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, third party security software, or VPN software, then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions since these types of apps are not needed on a Mac and they usually cause more problems than they solve. Even when using Safe Mode which prevents these types of apps from launching automatically, it won't help if they have modified a configuration setting/preference which may still be in effect even when the software is not running.

The best option would be to test the laptop using a clean install of macOS to see whether the issue still occurs. A clean install must be tested before installing any third party apps and before restoring from a backup. If you don't want to touch your internal boot drive, then you can try installing macOS to an external drive & booting from the external drive to test, although this option is a bit clumsy if you are not sitting at a table or desk. If you have an issue while using a clean install under these conditions, then either this laptop most likely has a hardware issue. A clean install is when you erase the drive before reinstalling macOS. Here is an Apple article with instructions for erasing the internal drive (works for Intel & Apple Silicon Macs):

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac's internal drive - Apple Support

Here is an Apple article for accessing recovery mode for both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you want to install to an external drive, then you will need to modify the instructions to select and erase the external drive instead of the internal drive. When erasing the external drive you will want to select the whole physical external drive and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you want to try booting from an external USB3 SSD and you have an Intel Mac, then you will need to first modify the Intel Mac's security settings to allow booting from an external drive by using the Startup Security Utility.

You can try a firmware "Revive" to see if that makes any difference since this should reset the security enclave and system firmware.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

If you have an Apple Silicon Mac and you want to perform a clean install to the internal SSD, then performing a firmware "Restore" is the easiest & fastest option available.

Before you try anything, make sure you have a good backup just in case something goes wrong. If something goes wrong, you may not be able to access any data on the internal drive. You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Sep 26, 2023 7:43 PM in response to deannafromaruba

deannafromaruba wrote:

thank you so much have not tried safe mode as you are mentioning but everything else you proposed
It is not just some websites I just cannot connect period i do not have internet at all.
I did eliminate a VPN and also Norton.

It may be useful to run EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Within the EtreCheck app you will first want to click "Share Report" then select "Copy Report" before pasting the report here. This report will help us verify that the VPN & Norton have been completely uninstalled & removed.....sometimes these apps will leave behind some remnants.

One other thing I forgot about in my previous post was to create a new Network location (not sure if this is still an option with Ventura), but creating a new macOS user account.....logging out of your current user & logging into the new user account.

The tech should really have tried or at least suggested everything I had in my previous post since those are the usual basic troubleshooting steps that Apple usually suggest.

Sep 24, 2023 1:00 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much for your answer. checked all that did all that. I went to an apple service provider 3 times. I was onlin with apple support yesterday but to no avail. I am connected now but for the same token half an hour from now not connection.

It is only with my macbook pro. not with my iphones, not with my ipad. It happens in other homes and places as well. I can be sitting next to my husband here at home. He connects and I do not.

Apple keeps telling there is nothing wrong but there is definitely something wrong

thanks for your reply kind regards deanna

Sep 26, 2023 3:13 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you very much herefor, apple did not have me booting into safe mode, Have not tried using a new Mac OS user account. I will take your reply and go to a service provider with this advice

I also took my computer to the local service provider but he could not detect anything wrong either. I had a very helpful apple support person very nice he tried his best he remotely accessed but could not find anything wrong

with your tips I will go to the service provider here one more time and see if he can help me

kind regards

I have a Mac book Pro purchased end of 2021. On a regular basis I cannot connect to the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.