You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Apple Watch series 8 work with iPhone XR?

Considering purchase of a new Apple Watch. Have iPhone XR

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 6:40 PM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2023 6:58 AM in response to valeriefrommontréal

valeriefrommontréal wrote:

When the new iOS 18 comes out in 2024, will my XR still work with an Apple Watch 9? Thanks

The volunteers in this forum are just users like you, and do not know what iPhones will support iOS 18.

HOWEVER, your Apple Watch will not upgrade past watchOS 10 if that upgrade needs iOS 18, so your iPhone XR and Series 9 Apple Watch will continue to work together.

When iOS 18 is released next Fall, is when you will know for certain whether your iPhone XR will support iOS 18.

Nov 24, 2023 7:24 AM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for your reply.

”HOWEVER, your Apple Watch will not upgrade past watchOS 10 if that upgrade needs iOS 18, so your iPhone XR and Series 9 Apple Watch will continue to work together. “

So my iPhone XR is currently compatible with the Apple Watch series 9 , but if my phone isn’t on the list to be compatible with the 2024 iOS 18 the watch will still work fine BUT not be able to use the features of any Watch iOS upgrade?

I hope that makes sense. I’m looking at buying the Apple Watch 9 today for Black Friday, but wasn’t planning on upgrading my iPhone in the next year.

Will the Apple Watch series 8 work with iPhone XR?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.