You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

-36 Error cannot move to trash

Hi I cannot delete and move to trash my documents This is the image when I right click and click on move to trash button it gived -36 cannot move to trash

Please help me

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 10:53 AM

Greetings gafarlinazim,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, it's great to have you here.

It looks like there may be a permissions issue here that is preventing you from deleting that file. If you think that you should have full administrator permissions, then we'd recommend restarting your Mac and testing the issue again. Here's how to reboot: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

If a reboot doesn't help, try deleting the file while booting into safe mode. Safe mode prevents certain launch items from starting alongside your computer and can help resolve unexpected issues like this. Here's how to boot into safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Lastly, if you'd like to check into the permissions for the file or for the folder/volume where that file is stored, you can utilize the information here: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

We hope that this information gets everything working again.

Many thanks!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2023 10:53 AM in response to gafarlinazim

Greetings gafarlinazim,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, it's great to have you here.

It looks like there may be a permissions issue here that is preventing you from deleting that file. If you think that you should have full administrator permissions, then we'd recommend restarting your Mac and testing the issue again. Here's how to reboot: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

If a reboot doesn't help, try deleting the file while booting into safe mode. Safe mode prevents certain launch items from starting alongside your computer and can help resolve unexpected issues like this. Here's how to boot into safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Lastly, if you'd like to check into the permissions for the file or for the folder/volume where that file is stored, you can utilize the information here: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

We hope that this information gets everything working again.

Many thanks!

-36 Error cannot move to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.