You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use USB A to USB C for Migration Assistant?

I've macbook pro 2015 which is about to die and I've already purchase Macbook Air which will arrived on next week. I would like to transfer the data with Migration Assistant. Could I used USB A to USB C to connect both Mac or Migration Assistant? Or do I need specific cable to do so?

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 11:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:59 PM

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

For Target Disk Mode: "If either of the computers has macOS 11 or later installed [which the new MacBook Air will], you must connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt cable." Here we'd be talking about a TB 3-to-2 adapter plus a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable. So migrating from an up-to-date external backup drive might be the best thing to do.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2023 7:59 PM in response to thanunthorn

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

For Target Disk Mode: "If either of the computers has macOS 11 or later installed [which the new MacBook Air will], you must connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt cable." Here we'd be talking about a TB 3-to-2 adapter plus a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable. So migrating from an up-to-date external backup drive might be the best thing to do.

Can I use USB A to USB C for Migration Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.